3rd blog

3rd blog

The working environment in Oxford is quite different from London where you can feel people always in a rush and make the big city very busy. I like London, because the busy city lights my thoughts, passion and dreams, and stretches me to develop myself quickly. Nevertheless, I also appreciate the beautiful, peaceful, and elegant culture of Oxford, which enables people focus on thinking deeply.   This week, my work in George Institute is on data extraction form large number of papers, which requires me to go through papers quickly, and spot useful information precisely and efficiently. At first, I feel very struggling, for everyday, tens of paper to read, and more than ten categories of information need to be extracted, and I have to be very careful, because some definition of information is ambiguous. As having read a lot of papers, I developed to be more skilled about systemic literature review and data extraction, and have accomplished much work in different studies. Even more rewarding, the works contributed by me will go into some papers for publication, which makes me feel very exciting. At the same time, another big challenge for me is to learn statistic skills, particular is R language. I have no programming experience before, so I have to learn from scratch. Now, as a beginner, I have to say it is very painful to learn the programming language for me, but I feel very excited about it, for I clearly know this skill is extremely powerful for very broad fields, and I already enjoy the learning, the logic flows. The colleagues in George are very helpful, and they gave me links to listen R classes, and taught me about meta-analysis research, which broadens my horizon of my major.   Also, this is really a good opportunity for me to experience another working ambiance, and culture. It is very quiet in the office in George; researchers are very devoted into their work, very independent, and very focus. I am now already settled in, and trying my best to make the most of the time to learn skills and knowledge. I think it is important and rewarding to experience different working atmosphere, and learn about real world of working. IMG_20140714_173902IMG_20140716_130057 IMG_20140716_082753IMG_20140715_165907